D vs Go in real life

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Nov 29 07:06:13 PST 2013

On 11/28/13 9:49 PM, Craig Dillabaugh wrote:
> On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 05:14:14 UTC, brad clawsie wrote:
>> This might not be a fair assessment given my shallow experience with
>> D, but it seems much less polished relative to Go for setting up a
>> development environment and working with code from the web.
> Well D is a volunteer effort while Go is being backed by the worlds
> biggest web company!  That sort of accounts for that I suppose. There
> has been recognition in the community that this needs to improve, but
> progress is only so fast with the limited resources.

Thanks Brad for the compare & contrast. Craig, I think funding is part
of the story but not all - our community could get better at being
perfectionist about the out-of-the box experience.

Go is underpowered but its good execution is undeniably attractive: the
first experience, the implementation works as advertised, and the
networking libraries show their authors' expertise. We stand to learn
from that.

Andrei