If you had money to place for a bounty, what would you choose?

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Nov 30 03:37:31 PST 2013

On 11/30/13 2:12 AM, Jason den Dulk wrote:
> On Friday, 29 November 2013 at 15:23:13 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> These are good themes but a conversation with one of the bountysource
>> founders revealed to me that smaller, precise tasks for moderate
>> amounts tend to do better than large projects that are only partially
>> specified, even for large amounts.
>
> That's because BountySource is only suited to bite-sized tasks. It is
> not capable of supporting large, complex projects.
>
> As an analogy, BountySource may be great to get potholes filled, but
> incapable of getting a whole motorway or public transport network
> developed.

It's a reasonable speculation to make, but without evidence it's only
this - speculation. What experience are you drawing from?

One reason the bountysource founder mentioned was that large tasks tend
to be insufficiently specified, which creates trouble (the worker claim
task has been completed but the payer disagrees etc).

>> We should break each of these down into bite-sized bugzilla issues.
>
> Instead of re-organising the project to suit the model of third-party
> website services, the D community needs to recognise that H. S. Teoh is
> right. The project needs an organised team of full time developers
> complete with team leadership and project management.

Totally. We're just missing the funds...

Andrei