D vs Go in real life

Max Samukha maxsamukha at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 13:59:18 PST 2013

On Saturday, 30 November 2013 at 21:14:53 UTC, Max Samukha wrote:
> On Friday, 22 November 2013 at 23:08:38 UTC, Andrei
> Alexandrescu wrote:
>> On 11/22/13 1:49 PM, Max Samukha wrote:

>>> Not adding generics was Go's deliberate decision.
>>
>> http://golang.org/doc/faq#generics
>>
>> "We haven't yet found a design that gives value proportionate
>> to the complexity, although we continue to think about it."
>
> Ok, I stand corrected.
>

>>> For that matter, D got
>>> its type system all wrong compared to Haskell. So why won't
>>> we all move
>>> there?
>>
>> Move where?
>>

> Tried to implement a GADT in D?

To clarify:

"Go's built-in maps and slices, plus the ability to use the empty
interface to construct containers (with explicit unboxing) mean
in many cases it is possible to write code that does what
generics would enable, if less smoothly."

Can you implement a GADT in D as "smoothly" as in Haskell?