If you had money to place for a bounty, what would you choose?

Jason den Dulk public2 at jasondendulk.com
Sat Nov 30 16:54:01 PST 2013

On Saturday, 30 November 2013 at 23:13:05 UTC, Nick wrote:
> On Saturday, 30 November 2013 at 15:22:13 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
>> Seeing how much we raised for DConf last year through
>> kickstarter, I
>> wonder if it might be possible to use kickstarter to raise
>> funds for
>> hiring a team of developers to work full-time on D?
>
> Even as a student, I'd be happy to throw money at D, if someone
> could give me a good reason to. I really want to see D succeed.
> I'm just not rich enough to be putting $20 bounties up on
> (multiple) individual bugs.
>
> I like the idea of a Kickstarter, if it could be done
> effectively. It would need some planning out.

The D decision makers would have to decide what would work best,
but setting up a non-profit organisation, and using that to raise
funds is the standard model, and is known to work. I can
contribute a small amount each month, and I'm sure other D
enthusiasts could do the same. 170 sponsors contributing an
average of $50 a month would pay for 1 full time developer and
$50/hr at 38 hrs/wk.

As for a good reason, the success of D is that reason. As I
mentioned in an earlier post, all successful projects (AFAIK)
have financial backing, and projects that rely purely on
volunteer efforts tend to die of asphyxiation.

Regards
Jason