[RFC] - mysql-native rewrite

ilya-stromberg ilya-stromberg-2009 at yandex.ru
Tue Oct 1 01:05:26 PDT 2013

On Monday, 30 September 2013 at 18:14:13 UTC, simendsjo wrote:
> On Monday, 30 September 2013 at 16:27:16 UTC, Brad Anderson
> wrote:
>> On Saturday, 28 September 2013 at 16:39:27 UTC, simendsjo
>> wrote:
>>> I've been working on a more or less complete rewrite of the
>>> mysql-native module.
>>
>> I don't have any specific comments.  Just want to say that
>> Steve Teale originally wrote the module as part of his
>> std.database efforts.  I think it would be nice if any
>> redesign done would aim for eventual phobos inclusion.
>
> I don't agree that this library should aim for any inclusion in
> phobos. I plan on exposing the MySQL API as closely as possible
> and a couple of higher level convenience functions. The
> std.database would have to be database agnostic, and should be
> a library interfacing to mysql-native, postgres etc.
>
> We should contact the author of ddbc for input:
> https://github.com/buggins/ddbc

No, you are wrong. We need both low-level and high-level API,
Low-level API like mysql-native driver should present a specific
database as much as possible and provide access to all database
features.
High-level API like ORM HibernateD must provide common API for
all databases, but it can't present all database specific
features due database differences.
So, I can use low-level API if I need access to all database
specific features. I can use high-level API if I need common API
for all databases.