John Carmack on Eclipse performance

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Tue Oct 1 07:56:27 PDT 2013

Am 01.10.2013 14:02, schrieb w0rp:
> I'm waiting for Carmack to adopt D already. Barring some implementation
> details (GC issues, shared libraries, bla bla) it's pretty much the
> perfect language for what he wants to do. (Fast and functional in
> parts.) Plus, if anyone could work around issues or figure out how to do
> really cool things with D, it would be Carmack.

There are a few QuakeCon talks, already mentioned here, where we goes
along describing his endeavours with Haskell, OCaml, Lisp and Scheme.

But he also mentions that he has some issues to expose normal game
developers to such languages, and is exploring how to bring some of
those ideas into their C++ codebase.

Will he ever try D? Who knows.

One thing that I got to learn from the game development culture, is that
tooling does not matter the way other software development industries
think about it.

What really matters about software stacks, is using the official
devkits, and the right tooling that allows to transform an idea into a
game that sells.

If the languages, IDE, and so on, are good or bad, it does not matter
that much. In comparison to have prototypes running fast enough and
achieving publisher deals.

--
Paulo