Can we please kill the hyphenator already?

Wyatt wyatt.epp at gmail.com
Wed Oct 2 10:04:12 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 1 October 2013 at 20:52:22 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:

> Heh, yea. But OTOH, it can be a good way for community members
> to easily
> point out any errors/omissions/gotchas in the docs.

I wish I were as optimistic, but unless the comment system ends
up sticking its stuff in some section of the NG it's just going
to become a burden (and even then I think it'd be suboptimal).
Laundry list of misgivings:
- Every doc page will need moderated against spammers and
unsavory folk (and they're getting really clever these days).
- It fragments the quality help people get from e.g. D.learn,
instead placing questions in out-of-the way places where they'll
languish for months or years (cf. http://xkcd.com/979/).
- It makes it harder to notice trends in the problems people have
that hint at language flaws we can address (like TypeTuple).
- The questions that do get answered have a decent chance of
being answered by someone with an incomplete understanding of the
problem space, which will accrete a bunch of non-functioning
half-solutions.
- The responses become stale over time as the docs change, so you
end up with comments that don't mesh with reality fairly easily
(we're not stable by a long shot, even semantically).

There's the argument that there might be some "really good"
comments made, but to me that situation is more of a _bug_
reflecting a deficiency in our docs (a good example:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/security.database.sql-injection.php).

-Wyatt

PS: And if it wasn't clear, the idea of using Disqus or some
other external thing should be right out.