C++ -> D converter mentioned in AMA

simendsjo simendsjo at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 03:52:40 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 10:42:32 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> Andrei's AMA has interesting answer:
>
> "One of the main D(md) contributors, Daniel Murphy is working
> on automatic conversion tool that eventually will convert DMD's
> C++ codebase to D."
>
> Is this tool already available? Are there any guidelines about
> how to code in C++ to ease the conversion preocess (or even
> make it possible). I would be VERY interested in such a tool
> when the time comes so in the mean time I could slowly "fix"
> existing C++ codebase for future conversion.

I think Daniel Murphys tool is aimed directly at the DMD
codebase. It probably has plenty of hacks to solve the problem.
There are plenty of pull-requests to ease the conversion, so I
don't think this is a tool that works for other projects out of
the box.
The code can be found here: https://github.com/yebblies/dmd

VisualD includes a generic tool to automatically convert C++ to
D. I haven't tried it myself, but you can find some information
here:
http://www.dsource.org/projects/visuald/wiki/Tour/CppConversion