C++ -> D converter mentioned in AMA

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Thu Oct 3 04:23:23 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 11:08:29 UTC, Szymon Gatner wrote:
> Thanks, I actually have VisualD installed but didn't know about
> that functionality tho looking at the docs it is pretty limited
> especially when it comes to templates :(
>
> Sorry to hear about Daniel's tool. Maybe some day...

Expecting such tool to "just work" is very unrealistic. C++ is
very complex language and some behavior just can't be mapped to D
directly. For example, one issue with current DMD source
translation is that in C++ you can split class implementation
among different translation units. Not in D.

Of course, libclang helps a lot with such tools (you don't need
to write full C++ front-end on your own anymore!) but the
complexity of translation is very high and you need to manually
recheck it anyway so this does not seem like a feasible _generic_
tool, only something that can be adopted for specific projects.