std.d.lexer : voting thread

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Thu Oct 3 16:18:13 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 19:47:28 UTC, Brian Schott wrote:
> The most recent set of timings that I have can be found here:
> https://raw.github.com/Hackerpilot/hackerpilot.github.com/master/experimental/std_lexer/images/times4.png

How exactly were these figures obtained?

Based on the graphs, I'd guess that you measured execution time
of a complete program (as LDC, which has a slightly higher
startup overhead in druntime, overtakes GDC for larger inputs).

If that's the case, DMD might be at an unfair advantage for this
benchmark as it doesn't need to run all the druntime startup code
– which is not a lot, but still. And indeed, its advantage seems
to shrink for large inputs, although I don't want to imply that
this could be the only reason.

David