Inline assembly and CTFE

Joseph Cassman jc7919 at outlook.com
Thu Oct 3 17:49:14 PDT 2013

On Thursday, 3 October 2013 at 22:40:14 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:

>> Are there plans to eventually support the use of asm blocks in
>> CTFE?
>
> No. Simulating a CPU is way, way beyond its charter.

Good to know. Thanks.

> But you don't want a compile time test for that! You want a
> runtime test, as it should depend on what machine the program
> is running under, which may not at all be the same one it
> compiled on.

Thanks for the other two comments along these lines as well. Of
course a build script tends to take care of such considerations,
I was looking for a way to do it as much in D as possible. And
yes, it was for the idea of building and running on the same
processor type.

Appreciate the input.

Joseph