C++ -> D converter mentioned in AMA

Daniel Murphy yebblies at nospamgmail.com
Fri Oct 4 03:18:54 PDT 2013

"Szymon Gatner" <noemail at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:jqvduhyvfufpzovpyqbj at forum.dlang.org...
> Andrei's AMA has interesting answer:
>
> "One of the main D(md) contributors, Daniel Murphy is working on automatic
> conversion tool that eventually will convert DMD's C++ codebase to D."
>
> Is this tool already available? Are there any guidelines about how to code
> in C++ to ease the conversion preocess (or even make it possible). I would
> be VERY interested in such a tool when the time comes so in the mean time
> I could slowly "fix" existing C++ codebase for future conversion.

The tool is available here: https://github.com/yebblies/magicport2

But as others have said, it is not meant to be a general purpose tool.  The
same approach could easily be applied to another large and consistent
project, but not without adapting the tool to your needs.

DMD uses a very nice subset of C++ (very few templates, no stl, no MI, etc)
so most of the things I've needed to clean up were actually C-isms.

You can get a comprehensive list of changes by looking at past commits with
[DDMD] in the title, along with the un-merged ones here:
https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1980