Official stdx

Jesse Phillips Jesse.K.Phillips+D at gmail.com
Fri Oct 4 18:53:11 PDT 2013

On Friday, 4 October 2013 at 10:02:21 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> I would imagine a compulsory waiting period of the order of
> months, combined with a requirement of evidence that the module
> has been effective in the real world and that any outstanding
> problems have been resolved appropriately**.

I think this requirement is unobtainable. You're basically
saying, "Hey go use this in your real world applications. We've
got a mandated break of that application, just don't know when
that is. But totally use this like you can rely on it."

I know it is really nice to have these test libraries released
with the compiler, but people really just need to go out and use
these libraries before the inclusion. I'm guilty too. I had use
for std.uuid, but didn't test it against my real code. It went
through review and even after inclusion I was still using the
basic generator I created from an RFC doc. I've since made the
switch, but I didn't do it because a review needed my help.

I think a stdx could be beneficial in our current state but I
think it should be temporary. One maybe two years. The timing for
move should be clear, accepted => stdx => next release => std.