std.d.lexer : voting thread

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sun Oct 6 09:14:31 PDT 2013

On 10/6/13 1:59 AM, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> I think std.d.lexer is a fine product that works as advertised. But I
>> also
>> believe very strongly that it doesn't exploit D's advantages and that
>> adopting it would lock us into a suboptimal API. I have strengthened this
>> opinion only since yesterday morning.
>
> I just think that if you were not completely satisfied with the current
> API or implementation you could have said so in the discussion thread.
> It would have at least given Brian a chance to do something about it,
> before the voting began.

I've always thought we must invest effort into generic lexers and
parsers as opposed to ones for dedicated languages, and I have said so
several times, most strongly in
http://forum.dlang.org/thread/jii1gk$76s$1@digitalmars.com.

When discussion and voting had started, I had acquiesced to not
interfere because I thought I shouldn't discuss a working design against
a hypothetical one. *That* would have been unfair. But now that such a
design exists, I think it's fair to bring it up.

Andrei