etc vs. package mangers

David Nadlinger code at klickverbot.at
Sun Oct 6 09:57:33 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 5 October 2013 at 00:24:22 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> 2. I do vote for inclusion in the /etc/ package for the time
> being.

What is your vision for the future of etc.*, assuming that we are
also going to promote DUB (or another package manager) to
"official" status soon as well?

Personally, I always found etc.* to be on some strange middle
ground between official and non-official – Can I expect these
modules to stay around for a longer amount of time? Keep API
compatibility according to Phobos policies? The fact that e.g.
the libcurl C API modules are also in there makes it seem like a
grab-bag of random stuff we didn't quite want to put anywhere
else, at least to me.

The docs aren't really helpful either: »Modules in etc are not
standard D modules. They are here because they are experimental,
or for some other reason are not quite suitable for std, although
they are still useful.«

David