Official stdx

growler growlercab at gmail.com
Sun Oct 6 16:44:54 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 6 October 2013 at 16:33:24 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On 04/10/13 12:02, John Colvin wrote:
>> I propose that the current review process be redirected to a
>> new target package
>> in the phobos repo, stdx, which would then have a separate
>> review process for
>> inclusion in std.
>
> Just a thought after reading through the discussion on
> std.d.lexer, but -- isn't this what etc library modules are for?
>
> See: http://dlang.org/phobos/index.html

> etc
>     This is the root of a hierarchy of modules mirroring the
> std hierarchy.
>     Modules in etc are not standard D modules. They are here
> because they are
>     experimental, or for some other reason are not quite
> suitable for std,
>     although they are still useful.

I like the idea of dub.stdx: peer-reviewed, officially endorsed
and rubber stamped modules

  * It provides a BOOST like repository of high quality
peer-reviewed D libraries.

  * It decouples the modules from the Phobos+compiler release
schedule.

  * It allows users to download official libraries individually,
without upgrading compiler/Phobos or using git head.

  * It provides a place official D libraries too big for Phobos.
I'm thinking of a Matlab toolbox type of repository with high
quality code. 3D/2D Gfx, GUI, image processing libraries,
linear-algebra, machine learning libraries etc. etc.

  * Dub might be able to collect stats on downloads per module and
provide information about the popularity and amount of real-world
use a module receives before proposing for Phobos.std.

Cheers