[OT] Liability of Moderator

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Oct 8 03:34:21 PDT 2013

A short OT question: A friend of mine wants to set up a forum or
mailing list and would like to know to which extent the moderator
or owner of the forum is liable, if some random troll or member
puts libelous, insulting or racist remarks on the forum. I guess
it depends mainly on national laws, but is there some general
"I'm not responsible for anything"-clause in the terms &
conditions that subscribers have to accept. If not, it would be
very dangerous to set up a forum or mailing list. Thanks for any
hints, links or tricks.