John Carmack on Eclipse performance

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+dng at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 03:34:54 PDT 2013

On 05/10/2013 11:58, Jacob Carlborg wrote:
> On 2013-10-04 21:15, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
>
>> Yea, exactly.
>>
>> I'm amazed that even "low-end" budget machines are so
>> ridiculously powerful these days. Pretty damn cool.
>
> But applications are still just as slow as they have always been.

Yes, unfortunately that much is still true, for a lot of applications.

It's not that my desktop runs every application super fast, there is
still a lot of slowness and slugishness, but they are caused by badly
designed code or other problems. Some of them might not even be affect
by a hardware spec change at all (like code that does long-running or
IO-blocking operations in UI-thread, etc.)

(Firefox + Flash/Youtube... arghh)

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer