The "no gc" crowd

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 08:53:46 PDT 2013

Whereas I'm right now with more time than money, I've been
thinking about doing a kickstarter or something with the goal of
doing the necessary changes to make going without the gc easy:

1) make sure all allocations in phobos are explicit and avoidable
where possible
2) have a flag where you can make gc allocations throw an assert
error at runtime for debugging critical sections
3) maybe the @nogc thing people are talking about

and whatever else comes up.

While I tend to agree that the gc arguments don't carry much
water (much bigger problem IMO is how intertwined phobos is...
and even that is meh much of the time), having all this set up
would be nice slam counter argument: the stdlib does not require
the gc and there's ways to avoid it pretty easily.

The downside I expect with the kickstarter thing though is most
the people complaining about this probably aren't willing to
pitch in cash - they have little to gain from it since they
aren't D users already. But it'd still be interesting to try.