[OT] Liability of Moderator

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Tue Oct 8 14:24:03 PDT 2013

On Tue, 08 Oct 2013 17:42:20 +0200
Joseph Rushton Wakeling <joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net> wrote:

> But that is "unlikely", not "impossible".  Someone who had a bone to
> pick with you could probably still launch suit.  In some
> circumstances I wouldn't bet against that happening if somebody's
> goal was to shut down a website.

Yea, I don't know if it's any different in other countries, but here in
the US anyone with money can sue anyone else (with or without money)
for anything and cause them boatloads of trouble *regardless* of whether
the case even has any merit at all (IANAL, of course). Heck, it's a
common, well-established tactic for corporations.

Personally, I wouldn't worry so much about it because there really
isn't *anything* you can do to *truly* "cover your ass" (Haters gonna
hate...and sue, merit or not), all you can ever really do is make a
best-faith effort.

Obviously don't take this as true legal advice, just one
random curmudgeon's opinion ;)