[OT] Liability of Moderator

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Oct 8 15:27:27 PDT 2013

On 10/8/2013 1:38 PM, Chris wrote:
> Was just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience with these things.
> After a little bit of research I've come to the conclusion that it's a
> minefield. The old Windows slogan applies: Click and pray!
>
> PS Ask a lawyer? You're kidding. Seriously.

The bottom line is anyone can sue you for anything, at least in the US,
regardless of any merits of the case. There is nothing you can do to guarantee
this will not happen.

But I do suggest you get business liability insurance. That's what it's for, and
ask your agent the hard questions as to what it does / does not cover, and be
sure and get that in writing.

I also suggest that you, as a forum operator, make a reasonable effort to remove
libelous/abusive/illegal posts. It's the right thing to do, regardless of
whether you'd get sued or not. And while everyone in the US has free speech
rights, as a non-government forum operator, you are under no obligation to
provide anyone with a forum to say things you don't agree with on your nickel.

As for legal advice, such advice on the internet is worth what you paid for it -
nothing. Brad's right in that if you want real legal advice, hire a lawyer.