The "no gc" crowd

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Tue Oct 8 16:29:07 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 8 October 2013 at 22:58:02 UTC, ponce wrote:
> But is it even necessary?

It is nice to have stdlib functions available that can be used
anywhere. For std.algorithm, Andrei has said if you ever
implement an algorithm by hand, it means the library has failed.
But there's two places where that falls short (IMO at least):
using it without allocating, and using it without bringing in a
bazillion dependencies.

The latter is a bigger problem to me personally than the former
(this is why simpledisplay.d as its own implementation of to and
split, for example, doing it myself instead of importing phobos
cut the compile time and exe size both in half), but a lot more
people complain about the gc...

> There isn't a great deal of evidence that someone interested in
> optimization will be blocked on this particular problem, like
> Peter Alexander said.

yeah, I haven't found it to be a big deal to hunt down
allocations either, and reimplementing the functions in phobos
that allocate generally isn't hard anyway. But still, if we can
do it, we might as well.