The "no gc" crowd

Brad Anderson eco at gnuk.net
Tue Oct 8 19:57:22 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013 at 02:22:35 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> * Advertise all of the above in a top module such as
> std.refcounted. It's amazing how many D programmers have no
> idea RefCounted even exists.

std.typecons is a little treasure trove of stuff nobody can find
or knows about.  I think tuple should be promoted to its own
module too (which would help alleviate some of the confusion new
users have with std.typetuple as well).

> * Review all of Phobos for hidden allocations and make
> appropriate decisions on how to give the user more control over
> allocation. I have some idea on how that can be done, at
> various disruption costs.

I ran Johannes Pfau's work-in-progress -vgc [1] while building
Phobos back in June. Here are the now out of date results:
http://goo.gl/HP78r  I'm sure plenty is missing in there (I think
allocations inside templates that aren't instiated aren't
included).

> * Get Robert Schadek's precise GC in. Walter and I have become
> 101% convinced a precise GC is the one way to go about GC.
>
> I'm up to my neck in D work for Facebook so my time is well
> spent. We must definitely up the ante in terms of development
> speed, and pronto.
>

> Andrei

All of this sounds great.

1. https://github.com/D-Programming-Language/dmd/pull/1886