[OT] Liability of Moderator

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Wed Oct 9 02:01:53 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 8 October 2013 at 22:27:27 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/8/2013 1:38 PM, Chris wrote:
>> Was just wondering if anyone on this forum has any experience
>> with these things.
>> After a little bit of research I've come to the conclusion
>> that it's a
>> minefield. The old Windows slogan applies: Click and pray!
>>
>> PS Ask a lawyer? You're kidding. Seriously.
>
> The bottom line is anyone can sue you for anything, at least in
> the US, regardless of any merits of the case. There is nothing
> you can do to guarantee this will not happen.
>
> But I do suggest you get business liability insurance. That's
> what it's for, and ask your agent the hard questions as to what
> it does / does not cover, and be sure and get that in writing.

This makes perfect sense. Thanks for the advice.

> I also suggest that you, as a forum operator, make a reasonable
> effort to remove libelous/abusive/illegal posts. It's the right
> thing to do, regardless of whether you'd get sued or not. And
> while everyone in the US has free speech rights, as a
> non-government forum operator, you are under no obligation to
> provide anyone with a forum to say things you don't agree with
> on your nickel.

The question always remains what is libelous or abusive?

> As for legal advice, such advice on the internet is worth what
> you paid for it - nothing. Brad's right in that if you want
> real legal advice, hire a lawyer.

You're right. But where I live it is sometimes better to read the
whole legislation and court rulings yourself than to ask a
lawyer. I've heard of cases where lawyers knew less about the
current legislation than their clients.