The "no gc" crowd

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 9 11:26:23 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, October 09, 2013 06:57:00 Sean Kelly wrote:
> Personally, the array of attributes that can be applied to a D
> function is one of my biggest pet peeves with the language. It gains me
> nothing personally, and adds a lot of extra thought to the process of
> writing a function.

We'd probably do a lot better if we had better defaults (e.g. default to pure
and then have an attribute for impure instead). The attributes that we have
were formed around adding to what's in C/C++ rather than around minimizing the
number of attributes required on your average function. But unfortunately,
it's too late for that now, given how much code it would break to change it.

- Jonathan M Davis