The "no gc" crowd

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Oct 9 13:05:10 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013 at 19:24:18 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> 1. Array slicing becomes clumsy instead of fast & cheap
>
> 2. Functions can now accept new'd data, data from user
> allocations, static data, slices, etc., with aplomb. Wiring in
> ARC would likely make this unworkable.

If we had working scope storage class, these could be solved -
you could slice to your heart's content as long as the reference
never escapes your current scope.

Really, I want this regardless of the rest of the discussion just
because then we can boot a lot of stuff to the library.

I realize it is easier said than done, but I'm pretty sure it is
technically supposed to work already...