draft proposal for ref counting in D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Oct 9 18:47:41 PDT 2013

Michel Fortin wrote:

Le 26-juin-2013 à 19:48, Walter Bright  a écrit :

 > D (like C and C++) loves to manipulate pointers. Having to call a function
every time this is done would be a disaster. It means that people would be
motivated to drop down to C to do the fast code, and we might as well throw in
the towel.

But at the same time, having a GC that stops the world at irregular interval is
worse for certain kind of things, games notably. It's been stated often on the
forum that game developers prefer increasing the overhead if it prevents those
hiccups. Making everything in D reference-counted would undoubtedly increase the
general overhead, but it'd allow game developers to leverage the whole language
and its libraries instead of restricting themselves to a custom subset of the
class hierarchy derived from a reference counted class.

And about pointer manipulation: for cases where you know for certain that the
pointer still points to the same memory block before and after the assignment
(when you call popFront on an array for instance), you have no reference count
to update and can elide the call.

The downside of optional support for language-wide reference counting is that it
requires two incompatible codegen (or rather one incompatible with RC). We could
have only one if it's the one that calls the retain/release functions on pointer
assignment, with those functions replaced with empty stubs in druntime when
reference counting is disabled, but some overhead would remain for the function
call.

I'm not claiming this is the right solution. It's just an idea I wanted to
mention as an aside because it has some common points. It is however a mostly
separate matter from your initial goal of supporting custom reference counting
schemes for some object hierarchies. I decided to write about it mostly because
you talked about reimplementing arrays using classes and that got me thinking.
But perhaps I shouldn't have mentioned it because it seems to be side-tracking
the discussion.