draft proposal for ref counting in D

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Oct 9 19:35:12 PDT 2013

Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

On Jul 1, 2013, at 12:17 PM, Walter Bright wrote:

 >> I really urge you to make this a separate project.  It's not trivial.
Logically, it's sound, but the implementation will be very difficult.  I also
think Sean (and probably others) should be involved for that discussion.

 > Make what a separate project? The destruction of objects by the GC in local
threads? It already is not part of the ref counting proposal.

As far as I can tell, the ref counting proposal is not viable without it, as
long as you insist on non-atomic RC increments and decrements.  How can it
possibly not be a prerequisite to this, and therefore part of the proposal?

Unless you are saying now that atomic ref counting is OK?

I'm going by your previous statement:

 > I very much want to avoid requiring atomic counts - it's a major performance
penalty.

-Steve