std.d.lexer : voting thread

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Oct 9 21:33:04 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, October 02, 2013 16:41:54 Dicebot wrote:
> After brief discussion with Brian and gathering data from the
> review thread, I have decided to start voting for `std.d.lexer`
> inclusion into Phobos.

I'm going to have to vote no.

While Brian has done some great work, I think that it's clear from the
discussion that there are still some potential issues (e.g. requiring a string
table) that need further discussion and possibly API changes. Also, while I
question that a generated lexer can beat a hand-written one, I think that we
really should look at what Andrei's proposing and look at adjusting whan Brian
has done accordingly - or at least do enough so that we can benchmark the two
approaches. As such, accepting the lexer right now doesn't really make sense.

However, we may want to make it so that the lexer is in some place of
prominence (outside of Phobos - probably on dub but mentioned somewhere on
dlang.org) as an _experimental_ module which is clearly marked as not finalized
but which is ready for people to use and bang on. That way, we may be able to
get some better feedback generated from more real world use.

- Jonathan M Davis