[OT] Liability of Moderator

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Thu Oct 10 02:22:50 PDT 2013

On Wednesday, 9 October 2013 at 18:15:37 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 10/9/2013 2:01 AM, Chris wrote:
>> The question always remains what is libelous or abusive?
>
> It's usually pretty obvious if you apply common sense. I also
> suggest simply googling for the what libel and slander actually
> are (many people have false assumptions about that).

Yes and no. I know people who have taken or threatened to take
legal action against others because they said something like "I
don't think this is the best way to say or do it. I propose ..."
Of course they will never succeed, but the hassle of having to
deal with letters from solicitors is just annoying. I've seen the
most ridiculous cases, things you couldn't make up. The problem
is that unlike in the U.S. in the Republic of Ireland and GB the
libel law is ridiculously overprotective. I do wonder how
journalists cope with it.

Mind you, that you apply common sense does not mean that others
do so too.

> Lawyers vary enormously in the quality of their advice. They're
> a lot like programmers in that regard :-)

In fairness, it's not only the lawyers, it's also the legislation
that is often highly ambiguous. So lawyer A tells you something,
and lawyer B will tell you something completely different. That's
why it's best to check out court rulings and the different
interpretations judges give the law in question. Else you pay
$500 and all you know is "it might but it might not be the case".

Anyway, it's got nothing to do with D.