The "no gc" crowd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Thu Oct 10 10:23:14 PDT 2013

> The way I see it we must devise a robust solution to that, NOT consider the
> state of the art immutable (heh, a pun).

Must say I have had a miserable experience with immutability and any kind of
complex data structure, particularly when concurrency is involved.

As a practical fact I've often found it necessary to convert to immutable (not
always via a cast or std.conv.to; sometimes via assumeUnique) to pass a complex
data structure to a thread, but then to convert _away_ from immutable inside the
thread in order for that data (which is never actually mutated) to be
practically usable.

I'm sure there are things that I could do better, but I did not find a superior
solution that was also performance-friendly.