The "no gc" crowd

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Oct 10 11:11:12 PDT 2013

On Oct 10, 2013, at 10:55 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> On 10/10/13 12:33 AM, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
>
>> Far more frequently, you want to share a type which you would also
>> use normally as a thread-local variable, and that means casting.
>
> no

Yeah, I'd want to see this claim backed up by some examples.  The only data I share globally in my own apps is the occasional container.  Configuration data, a user database, whatever.  I'll also frequently move data between threads while dispatching tasks, but otherwise everything is thread-local.  I imagine there are other reasonable methods for using shared data, but I don't know what they are.