The "no gc" crowd

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Thu Oct 10 22:32:46 PDT 2013

On Thursday, October 10, 2013 19:43:40 Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 10/10/13 7:37 PM, Michel Fortin wrote:
> > Anyway, that whole concept of synchronized class is a deadlock honeypot.
> > It should be scrapped altogether.
>
> People still use it.

To some extent in that some folks used synchronized functions, but
synchronized classes haven't been implemented at all. What we have right now
is basically just a copy of Java's synchronized function feature. Synchronized
classes aren't drastically different, but whatever nuances come with the
difference are completely unrealized at this point.

I think that synchronized classes have their uses, but I'd honestly still be
inclined to use them sparingly. It's frequently too much to lock a whole
object at once rather than the single member or group of members that actually
need the lock.

- Jonathan M Davis