The "no gc" crowd

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Oct 11 11:04:57 PDT 2013

On Friday, 11 October 2013 at 17:50:26 UTC, Dicebot wrote:

> How can one possibly used "synchronized" for this in absence of
> classes if desire behavior is to lock an entity, not statement
> block?

I'm not sure I follow.  But I was in part objecting to the use of
synchronized without a related object:

synchronized {
     // do stuff
}

This statement should be illegal.  You must always specify a
synchronization context:

synchronized(myMutex) {
     // do stuff
}

For the rest, it seemed like the suggestion was that you could
just wrap a statement in any old synchronized block and all your
problems would be solved, which absolutely isn't the case.