The "no gc" crowd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Fri Oct 11 18:23:46 PDT 2013

> On 10/11/13 7:46 AM, Joseph Rushton Wakeling wrote:
>> It's not so much that we expect it, as that we might expect that
>> standard library types would _have the appropriate design work put in_
>> so that they would "just work" with these qualifiers.  (Admittedly
>> shared is a bit of a special case right now that probably needs more
>> work before support is rolled out.)
>>
>> If you tell me that's an unreasonable expectation then fair enough, but
>> it feels pretty bad if e.g. library-implemented number types (big
>> integers or floats, rationals, complex numbers, ...) can't from a user
>> perspective behave exactly like their built-in counterparts.
>
> I think that's reasonable.

Good :-)

It's probably clear from discussion that I don't have a sufficient theoretical
overview to immediately address what needs to be done here without help, but if
anyone is willing to provide some guidance and instruction, I'm happy to try and
do the legwork on std.bigint to bring it up to speed in this respect.