std.linalg

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Oct 12 01:47:32 PDT 2013

On Saturday, 12 October 2013 at 06:24:58 UTC, FreeSlave wrote:

> For these cases we may let users to choose low-level backend if
> they need. High-level interface and default implementation are
> needed anyway.
>
> I called it std.linalg because there is website
> http://www.linalg.org/ about C++ library for exact
> computational linear algebra. Also SciD has module scid.linalg.
> We can use std.linearalgebra or something else. Names are not
> really important now.
>
> Ok, things are more clear now. Today I look what I can do.

There are litterally dozens of linear algebra packages: Eigen,
Armadillo, Blitz++, IT++, etc.

I was not complaining about the linalg name, but about the fact
that you want to make it a std subpackage. I contend that if you
want to make it a std package, it must be nearly perfect, i.e
better performing than ALL the other alternatives, even the C++
ones, and that it's really good as an API. Else it will be
deprecated because someone will have made a better alternative.

Given the number of past tries, I consider this project is very
likely doomed to failure. So no std please.