etc vs. package mangers

SomeDude lovelydear at mailmetrash.com
Sat Oct 12 02:09:21 PDT 2013

On Monday, 7 October 2013 at 07:12:13 UTC, Jonathan M Davis wrote:
> On Monday, October 07, 2013 08:36:16 Jacob Carlborg wrote:
>> On 2013-10-06 22:40, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
>> > I think /etc/ should be a stepping stone to std, just like
>> > in C++ boost
>> > is for std (and boost's sandbox is for boost).
>>
>> Currently "etc" seems like where C bindings are placed.
>
> That's what I thought that it was for. I don't remember etc
> ever really being
> discussed before, and all it has are C bindings, so the idea
> that it would
> hold anything other than C bindings is news to me, though I
> think that we
> should probably shy away from putting C bindings in Phobos in
> general.
>
> - Jonathan M Davi

The problem is, if these C bindings are removed, the immediate
reflex will be to think that Phobos doesn't have the features
that were fulfilled by these bindings. So the impulse will be to
reinvent the wheel, when these bindings are perfectly okay and do
the job well. C bindings is a way to save us time and build upon
proven quality libraries. I don't see any problem with C bindings
being in the standard library, as long as they are really useful
and high quality. The "not invented here" itch is a bad one. The
workforce of the community should be directed at real problems
and filling real gaps, rather than being wasted at reinventing
the wheel merely for aethetic/ideological reasons.

I don't see any need to remove etc.