Qt bindings for D

w0rp devw0rp at gmail.com
Sun Oct 13 13:33:39 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 at 18:12:00 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic wrote:
> On 10/13/13, Christian Manning <cmanning999 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Perhaps KDE's SMOKE?
>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke
>
> Someone is already working on this:
> https://github.com/w0rp/dqt

I just saw this thread, and I guess the first thing I felt was
guilt. I actually got to a pretty interesting stage in this
project I think, and I do intend to continue working on it. It's
just that as I was getting to a really cool part where I could
start to build the bindings proper, life took over and I've been
far too busy with other things these past few weeks. So,
unfortunately I haven't had the time to work on it recently. I
will come back to the project, but it might not be until early
November when I'll have to the time to pick it up again.

If anyone else wants to take a look at what I did or ask me any
questions about it, feel free. I pretty much cobbled together
some code for using Qt through SMOKE in D. SMOKE is pretty much a
C++ library for creating language bindings for other C++
libraries. After spening some time talking to people in the
#kde-bindings channel and tinkering, I basically matched the
SMOKE data alignment and wrote a few functions for pulling out
and calling function pointers in D. (With just a little bit of
help from a tiny C++ library I wrote, as I couldn't be sure about
calling C++ function pointers through D working well, among a
couple of other things.)

I was planning on spending a lot of time thinking about the best
way I could imagine of putting all of this stuff together,
providing bindings for the interesting parts of Qt 4.8 (for now),
and then making a post here announcing the whole thing more
officially. I suppose this post has kind of pre-empted that.