etc vs. package mangers

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Sun Oct 13 16:28:51 PDT 2013

On Sunday, October 13, 2013 19:09:36 SomeDude wrote:
> On Saturday, 12 October 2013 at 23:12:03 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> OK, for libraries that are not well supported on all platforms,
> that makes sense.

Yeah, and because Windows supports basically nothing out of the box except its
own OS libraries (e.g. Win32 or WinRT), that means not supporting anything
other than C bindings to the OS functions and leaving all other C bindings to
something outside of the standard library like Deimos. But if we promote
deimos properly (and dub will probably help with this), we should be able to
make people aware of where they can find bindings to C libraries and make it
less likely that people will reinvent the wheel in D if it's not actually
worth doing (though in some cases it is worth doing - e.g. thanks to slicing,
well-written D parsing libraries are likely to beat any C/C++ parsing
libraries that operate on null-terminated strings).

- Jonathan M Davis