Qt bindings for D

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 03:28:30 PDT 2013

On Sunday, 13 October 2013 at 20:33:41 UTC, w0rp wrote:
> On Sunday, 13 October 2013 at 18:12:00 UTC, Andrej Mitrovic
> wrote:
>> On 10/13/13, Christian Manning <cmanning999 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Perhaps KDE's SMOKE?
>>> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Languages/Smoke
>>
>> Someone is already working on this:
>> https://github.com/w0rp/dqt
>
> If anyone else wants to take a look at what I did or ask me any
> questions about it, feel free. I pretty much cobbled together
> some code for using Qt through SMOKE in D. SMOKE is pretty much
> a C++ library for creating language bindings for other C++
> libraries. After spening some time talking to people in the
> #kde-bindings channel and tinkering, I basically matched the
> SMOKE data alignment and wrote a few functions for pulling out
> and calling function pointers in D. (With just a little bit of
> help from a tiny C++ library I wrote, as I couldn't be sure
> about calling C++ function pointers through D working well,
> among a couple of other things.)
>
> I was planning on spending a lot of time thinking about the
> best way I could imagine of putting all of this stuff together,
> providing bindings for the interesting parts of Qt 4.8 (for
> now), and then making a post here announcing the whole thing
> more officially. I suppose this post has kind of pre-empted
> that.

Because Qt is so large, the binding needs to be autogenerated
from a representation of the API. Have you done anything /
thought about how you would do that? It looks like SMOKE already
has a representation of the API somewhere.

Also, does SMOKE do anything for you in terms of signals and
slots, and QVariants?