dmd 2.063 generated code a lot slower then dmd 2.062

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 14 04:30:34 PDT 2013

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 11:09:54 +0200
Benjamin Thaut <code at benjamin-thaut.de> wrote:

> I found it: src\rt\minit.obj is corrupt. When I copy the file from
> the 2.064 beta package it builds sucessfully. Might have to do
> something with the line ending settings in git.
>
> Maybe a .gitattributes file setting *.obj to binary should be added
> to the druntime repository to prevent issues like this.

Automatic line ending conversions need to be nuked from existence.
Git's EOL-conversion "feature" should never have existed in the first
place. I can only imagine it happened because some early Git developer
must have thought Windows was still stuck in 1991. Or maybe they
thought Windows developers write code in notepad.

*Any* Git installation that has any form of EOL-conversions enabled is
absolutely in error and will eventually just breed problems. And any
sane editor will respect the line endings of any file it opens, if it
doesn't it's a POS and needs to be fixed/replaced. So there should never
be any problem, and never be any need for any of Git's "helpful"
automatic data butchering.

(Same goes for FTP, but at least FTP has an excuse: It existed back
when there *was* such as thing as "Unix line endings" and "Windows line
endings".)