Early review of std.logger

Jeremy Powers jpowers at wyrdtech.com
Mon Oct 14 10:01:25 PDT 2013

Some comments from the peanut gallery:

* Mentioned already: configurable log output.  Configure style/contents of
log output based on output location.  More options for included info
(thread id, etc).  Allow custom info to be inserted based on logger context.

* Also mentioned: Configurable log rotation for file logger.

* Pass an exception to logger directly, have it output in message depending
on configuration.  Pretty vs. short vs. all-one-line for automated log
parsing.

* Support multiple output locations.  Code calls log.whatever(), be able to
have that spit out to various places (stdout, syslog, file, etc) depending
on configuration. Be able to configure different logging levels for each
output.

* Should be able to change log levels via configuration, for debugging of
existing code (during dev or production).  That is, be able to change each
logger level without recompiling.

* The 'critical' level seem extraneous - when would you use this instead of
error or fatal?

* Easy way to create logger per module, inheriting settings from logger
hierarchy.  Associated way to manage loggers and their configuration.

Basically, things I've found useful after using log4j heavily.  Most of
them seem fancy and extraneous, until you are dealing with long-running
production software you have to fix at three in the morning...