Early review of std.logger

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Mon Oct 14 14:01:05 PDT 2013

On Monday, 14 October 2013 at 20:49:19 UTC, Robert Schadek wrote:

> I disagree on having a simple email layer among the default
> logger,
> because I feel that having this "special" logger in would water
>  the
> design of the logging module. Maybe you are happy with a simple
>  string
> message mail with fixed subject and sender, the next guy will
> not. And
> he will be asking for it and (we || I ) have to tell him, why
> the simple
> one is in and his version is not. I would rather have a minimal
> std(io|err), file logger version which is pure and easy to mod.

Yes.  The really important thing about getting tools like this
into the standard library is so libraries can build on the same
framework that a user application is likely to use.  So now
instead of hooking differently formatted callbacks into every D
library I use so I can get log output, I can rely on them logging
directly to the standard log device.

Different projects will have different specialized logger
requirements, so trying to find a common back-end seems like a
largely pointless effort anyway.  Though specialized loggers
might be a good Dub project...