Book recommendation

Kiith-Sa kiithsacmp at gmail.com
Mon Oct 14 14:34:02 PDT 2013

On Monday, 14 October 2013 at 21:12:57 UTC, alex wrote:
> Thanks for the link John!
>

> On Monday, 14 October 2013 at 21:09:32 UTC, Adam Wilson wrote:
>>
>> That is actually incorrect. Tango was a replacement for the
>> Phobos Standard Library in D1 to expand on the thin
>> capabilities of the library at the time. In D2 (current D
>> implementation) Phobos is now the default standard library and
>> includes most of the functionality of Tango. Ergo, TDPL
>> (Andrei's Book) is the current Gold Standard D book.
>
> So Tango replaced Phobos, just to be replaced by Phobos later?
>
> What are/were the fundamental differences? Why two libraries?
> This admittedly kind of confused me :-D

It's a thing of the past. Phobos sucked so Tango was created. It
was incompatible, leading to stdlib wars. Then D2 came, with a
runtime that would allow both to work. Phobos improved, Tango
slid to irrelevancy. A D2 port of Tango exists, but it's used
only by a few diehards. Phobos surpasses it in most areas. If you
need one of the few things Tango is better at, you can use it
together with Phobos, like e.g. Boost with C++.

Learning to program in D _based_ on Tango is a bad idea; it's a
third-party library with not a whole lot of community around it
(not to mention that book is very obsolete by now). Also, TDPL is
an awesome book. And the Ali Cehreli's book
(http://ddili.org/ders/d.en/index.html) is awesome too, and
probably even more relevant right now as it's very recent.