Book recommendation

Nick Sabalausky SeeWebsiteToContactMe at semitwist.com
Mon Oct 14 14:47:37 PDT 2013

First of all, "Learn to Tango with D", while being a very good book (I
have it right here on my bookshelf) is rather old at this point, much
older than "The D Programming Language". It's based on D1, which
is mostly outdated and replaced by D2 at this point.

On Mon, 14 Oct 2013 23:12:56 +0200
"alex" <alessino at gmail.com> wrote:
> So Tango replaced Phobos, just to be replaced by Phobos later?
>
> What are/were the fundamental differences? Why two libraries?
> This admittedly kind of confused me :-D

Phobos has always been the "official" standard library.
Historically (for D1), Tango *was* an incompatible alternate standard
library (and very good for its time) created at a time when Phobos was
still severely underdeveloped.

That rift and incompatibility was a big PR disaster for D (and
confused basically everybody new to D), so now, for D2, the
incompatibility has been fixed: Tango is simply an optional third party
library now, just like any other, that does NOT conflict with Phobos.
And Phobos itself has grown considerably so there's no longer a need
for a full replacement.

That's all historical information, though. Bottom line, Phobos is the
standard library. Tango is an optional third party library like any
other, which you can use, or not, however you wish.