Early review of std.logger

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Oct 15 03:09:06 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 07:33:15 UTC, Sönke Ludwig wrote:
> Am 15.10.2013 09:08, schrieb Jacob Carlborg:
>> On 2013-10-14 23:22, Dicebot wrote:
>>
>>> If we need to care about that, D module system is a failure.
>>> But I don't think it is a valid concern.
>>
>> People already complain about conflict function names in
>> Phobos.
>>

> And I'd agree with them. At least inside of a library, care IMO
> should be taken to minimize overlap (of course functionally
> equivalent ones in different overload sets are fine, though).
> But in case of "logXXX" this seems to be very unlikely, much in
> contrast to "log" (std.math.log).

I disagree. People complain because they try to use imports in a
straightforward way, similar to includes. That should be
discouraged as a bad style in D. Imports should always be either
with explicit mention of exported symbol or aliased static
imports. And global module imports should be discouraged too.