draft proposal for ref counting in D

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.ca
Tue Oct 15 04:12:19 PDT 2013

On 2013-10-15 07:28:16 +0000, Jacob Carlborg <doob at me.com> said:

> On 2013-10-15 05:11, Michel Fortin wrote:
>
>> mprotect isn't available at all with the iOS SDK. So making this
>> collector work on iOS (and the iOS Simulator) would require a different
>> codegen.
>
> I haven't tried compiling anything and I don't know if I'm looking in
> the correct file but this file:
>
> /Applications/Xcode.app/Contents/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS7.0.sdk/usr/include/sys/mman.h

Does

> contain "mprotect".

You're right. Yes it does exist. I was confused.

Not only it does exist, but it lets you set the executable bit. I find
that depressing, since I'm pretty sure App Store apps are prevented
from setting the executable bit, and I'd tend to think now that they're
blocking it by checking for references to mprotect it in the executable
when submitting to the App Store. And by doing it this way they
probably wouldn't be able to distinguish between setting the executable
bit or making a page read-only.

Also, someone would need to check that Windows Phone apps and Windows
8-style (Metro) apps can access mprotect (or equivalent) too. They're
sandboxed just as heavily and statically checked upon submission the
same way.

Could some game consoles out there block it too?

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.ca
http://michelf.ca