Early review of std.logger

Dicebot public at dicebot.lv
Tue Oct 15 06:54:10 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 13:31:40 UTC, ilya-stromberg wrote:

I think such stuff should go as an extra module in same package
with various useful out-of-the box logger implementations at the
very best. Probably even dub package built on top of std.logger;

Phobos has very specific general design I like a lot -
self-contained modules/packages with zero external dependencies
(please kill std.net.curl!), which do work by simply importing
certain modules. No extra configuration, no creation of weird
useless classes - just reasonable defaults that work as-is in
most cases.

In that sense what is 100% needed is enhancing current API so
that it may allow more fine grained tweaking of loggers (addition
of module info, providing built-in multiplexing logger). There
should be no temptation to build own stuff with own API because
you can't write own logger that fits standard one.

But actual batteries - no, this does belong to Phobos.