Fastest way to learn D?

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Oct 15 13:48:44 PDT 2013

On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 20:31:54 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 20:25:06 UTC, Chris wrote:
>> On Tuesday, 15 October 2013 at 18:36:19 UTC, John Colvin wrote:

>>> I did too. I don't see it as particularly
>>> hard/only-for-smart-people, I just built simple programs and
>>> slowly looked up what I needed as I went along. A lot of help
>>> from people here and on IRC helped as well of course.
>
>> it's a good idea to stay on this forum and check the API
>> regularly. If you do this, you will not only learn D, but also
>> get a deeper understanding of programming related problems
>> (and possible solutions) in general.
>
> Very true. I have learnt a huge amount about programming in
> general by trying to keep up with the more experienced members
> here. All the discussions about the future of different
> language features etc. has been a fantastic education.

It has also changed my awareness while writing code. Instead of
doing things the traditional way (like in Java, Objective-C
etc.), I often ask myself whether there is a different, i.e. more
D-like, way of doing things. In this way, I have to really think
about the pros and cons of different approaches rather than
following standard patterns. At the same time, D doesn't force
you to follow a certain path.