Early review of std.logger

Jeremy Powers jpowers at wyrdtech.com
Tue Oct 15 16:34:24 PDT 2013

On Tue, Oct 15, 2013 at 8:17 AM, Andrei Alexandrescu <
SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote:

> One note - log4j, log4cxx, and log4cpp are not part of the respective
> languages' standards. That doesn't mean much (in fact it may be a
> competitive advantage to integrating log4d in std) but it is one factor to
> consider.

It also gave rise to slf4j, to tie the various (java) logging solutions
together.

>From a core library standpoint, the slf4j model might be a good one to
emulate - provide a basic logging abstraction that can then be plumbed to
whichever logging implementation is needed.  Logback is essentially the
logging framework written by the slf4j guys, which is why I used it as an
example.

And though I am not Eric, I do have a short list.  These are things that
log4j/slf4j/etc provide that I'd consider required of any log framework
before I use it in a production* environment:

Multiple log destinations (sinks/appenders), configurable.
  - required for logging to file, syslog, etc as appropriate
  - different running instances of same code may need different log
names/locations/appenders

Hierarchical logs, with inheritance of levels, configure at runtime.  Turn
on/off log level for part of hierarchy.
  - for debugging own code without being overwhelmed with log statements
from elsewhere
  - turn off extraneous logging in dependencies, or turn it on for deep
diving

Configurable log ouput with custom fields (time, thread, etc).
  - required for making log output match predefined formats
  - include needed metadata in the log line

Allow 'lazy' evaluation/formatting of log output (parameterized logging
equivalent).
  - no performance excuse not to log

Log rotation
  - if this isn't there out of the box, guarantee will be first
customization

* where 'production' is biased towards high availability services